Billiard Education Foundation Awards 2012 Academic Scholarships
The Billiard Education Foundation (BEF) is pleased to announce the 2012 recipients of its annual scholarship program. The objective of the BEF Academic Scholarship Program is to grant scholarships to high school seniors who have benefited from the sport of billiards and are pursuing a college education.
The scholarships are divided into two categories: BEF Excellence in Education scholarship ($2,000 award) and BEF Aiming for Higher Education scholarships (3 x $1,000 award).
The prized students adhered to the following scholarship criteria:
1) maintained a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale);
2) received an ACT score of at least 23 or SAT combined score (critical reading + math) of 1050 or higher;
3) submitted a 500-1000 word essay on how billiards has been an integral part of their life;
4) submitted a letter outlining academic achievements, leadership and/or community service work and a description of the applicant’s background and career objectives;
5) must be accepted to an accredited undergraduate academic program by June 1;
6) must attend an accredited undergraduate institution and carry at least 12 hours per semester.
Congratulations to the following 2012 winners:
BEF “Excellence in Education” Scholarship ($2,000 award)
Megan Ferry of Denver, NC
BEF “Aiming for Higher Education” Scholarships ($1,000 award)
Benjamin Horton of Moyie Springs, ID
Lesly Ibarra of Garland, TX
Kole McGuire of Rockwall, TX
Essays may be viewed on the BEF website at www.BilliardEducation.org
The Billiard Education Foundation has awarded over $200,000 in scholarships since 1993. Said BEF executive director Laura Smith, “The BEF is proud to help young adults who have benefited from billiards to offset their education expenses and become our future leaders.”
About the Billiard Education Foundation
The Billiard Education Foundation (BEF) was formed in 1993 as a 501 (c)(3) non-profit charitable organization. The BEF funds academic scholarships, produces the Junior National 9-Ball Championships, offers opportunities for billiard athletes to attend the WPA World Junior 9-Ball Championships and promotes “Pool In School” programs. For more information about the BEF please visit www.BilliardEducation.org or contact Samm Diep-Vidal at samm@BilliardEducation.org or phone 303-667-8000.