Pool Instruction – Overhanded Jump Shot (fredm4315)

A brief lesson on how to jump a cue ball using the overhanded method including some persuasive reasons why I believe the overhanded method is a better way to jump than the conventional underhanded method.

1. dutchpuppy2 says:

Very good instruction. I have used a similar approach, but with the stick between my pointing and middle finger. It is also very effective but I will try this method as well. Good work and keep it coming!

2. poolshooter2007 says:

WOW WOW WOW WOW, you said 20 min, it took me 10 min to master short jumps. I did not have jump stick i used std shaft (a bit short though) with regular tip but could not jump much, i took the tip off and shot with the plastic fearel waht a difference, i started jumping, i guess i need to buy jump tip, what you recommend. Again thanks much, you are much better than Bert Kinister i could not jump much his way.
    keep up the good work.

3. fredm4315 says:

Thanks for the great comments. I’m using a Bungie (not sure of the spelling). It’s a fairly cheap que at about $80. It’s also very light and has a phenolic tip, both of which really help make the process more effortless.

4. poolshooter2007 says:

One good advice to everyone, until you master this jump shot, use a piece of cloth (same thickness as table cloth) put it under the cue ball, to keep burn marks from your cloth, also, it would not hurt to cover the table precious wood work so when cue ball jumps up, it would not dent it.
    Again, i cannot thank you enough, i will pay you something when i win next match.

5. XxNeed4SpdxX says:

Just wanted to comment on the phenolic tip that you mentioned; a lot of tournaments and leagues are banning the use of phenolic tips, so consider whether you will be playing in any before purchasing a new jump/break stick.

6. machinemen165 says:

Brilliant instruction, I’m working on this and I’ve made a few good jumps and I don’t consider myself as a good player.

Thanks a lot!
    Greetings from Chile!

7. cursive13 says:

thanx this was a very helpful video

8. willecue says:

Hey Fred,
    Interesting video, I build cues and have just created a 5.62 oz. Dart jumping style cue that will go over a ball at 1mm of space between the balls.Nevel is the only guy I’ve personally seen jump a ball from that distance. This cue helps a normal person jump balls as close as a cube of chalk. If you see this send a reply to me at the ya-hoody, I’ll send a reply back quickly.

9. ThunderBayCarver says:

Thanks for the good video. I have just got into trying jump shots and this has helped with the basics.

10. dipy370dxl says:

thanks for making it easier fred…

11. vietkid4life253 says:

NICEE. ty.

12. GORDON49X says:

With me I follow this but the ball didn’t take off

13. illusionfyre says:

thxs dude. for the tip.really helpful.

14. snakehead52 says:

Awesome!! I am so happy I found this clip.
    I could never jump before but I just got finished successfully jumping the cue ball 20 times in a row. Amazing. And so easy. Very little power needed. Like he says, just a flick of the wrist. Important to hit just below center (1/2 tip) when looking down at the ball. Thanks again!!!

15. malfore2 says:

i like you video it help me i been doing the other method for years but i lke this one alot i been playing for 30 yrs now so i guess you can say a old dog can learn new tricks

16. rickmei3072 says:

Yo fredm4315, if you would like to get better in basketball, you ought to start following a actual training plan. I used widely known nba training program here at (50 inch vertical [dot] com). I didn t even tell this to my basketball teammates yet lol

17. antmiu2 says:

how low can you go

18. RedRanger23 says:

great instruction. thank you sir.

19. Arizonaaaaful says:

You make it look like a piece of cake! The over handed method is great advice.
    Thank’s for the details.
    Ramona

20. AmbrosiEhrlich756 says:

fredm4315, damn that is sick. That’s coming from someone who s the shortest on his team but can dunk with EASE. I used the training program at (50-inch-vertical(dot)com) and increased more than 14 ins on my vertical.