How to Play Pool : Tips on Gripping a Pool Cue: Online Billiards Lessons for Beginners

Learn how to grip a pool cue and other pool techniques for beginners in this free how to video clip lesson. Expert: Richard Garcia Bio: Richard has been an avid pool player for the past 25 years and has played in competitively since 1993. He has finished in the top ten percentile in the world. Filmmaker: Juan-Diego Garcia

1. LiMaoTang says:

squeeze my balls

2. simplecrs13 says:

lol

3. joeygonzo says:

The balance point has nothing to do with where you hold ( you don’t grip it ) the cue.
    Where you hold your cue depends on where your tip is at contact with the cueball.
    Ideally your foream should be perpindicular to the cue/table when the tip makes contact with the cueball.

4. Nippert77 says:

I disagree. If you do not consider the balance point of the cue, your tip tends to sink/float because the weight is lopsided. I see this happen a good deal at the bars with new players using 21 ounce cues. I think you both agree with the right angle of the arm holding the cue though.

5. joeygonzo says:

What does that have to do where you grip?
    You grip your cue according to your bridge length.
    If the cueball is frozen on the rail, you have no choice but to choke up.
    If it’s in the middle of the table, you can have your normal length bridge and grip location.
    Most cues now nowadays balance point is around 18-19″ from the bottom. If you don’t like the balance point of a cue, don’t buy it.
    You shouldn’t change your grip location for it.

6. Nippert77 says:

I was commenting on your post: “Where you hold your cue depends on where your tip is at contact with the cueball” -saying that if you are holding the cue too high or too low from the balance point, you will be more prone to hitting the cue high/low because the weight of the cue is not center when u follow through. Anyone can hold their cue high/low of the balance point and still hit the cue center…I feel it is just a bad habit to get used to for some of the newer players reading this post.

7. joeygonzo says:

Sorry but holding the cue at the point where your forearm is perpendicular to the cue/slate right before contact is NOT a bad habit.
    The balance of the cue has NOTHING to do with mishitting the cueball. Your bridgehand and your follow-through take care of that.
    Check Lando Shuffet’s video here.
    watch?v=a7nmNvYAGpE&feature=related
    Check his forearm and where he holds the cue.
    The balance point of a cue is normally with an inch or 2 from the top of the wrap.

8. Nippert77 says:

I said in my first post that I agree with both of you that holding your arm like a pendulum @ 90 degrees is in fact a good habit. I’d like to hear what other viewers think about holding the cue within a few grips of the balance point. I still think it is a good habit to get used to.
    As to the 7 yr old hustler, I’m not so sure we should be looking at a 4-ft tall prodigy’s form as any gold standard. I’ll wait to critique his stance when he grows up.

9. joeygonzo says:

Nipper, the balance point of most cues are withing an inch or two above the wrap ( I make custom cues ).
    What is a “few grips” ?
    Most normal hold their cues in the middle of the wrap and down. Some like Core Deuel hold the bottom of the wrap ( he’s about 6 ft. tall ).
    Where you hold the cue depends on your body and bridge length.
    It has nada to do with the balance point.
    21 house cues with 2 ounces of weight bolt at the bottom is not a cue to consider.
    Most cues are 18 to 19.5 ounces.

10. Nippert77 says:

I usually find the balance point of the cue the same way as the guy in the video, and grip it within 1-2 hands grip below this point. That is usually about mid-wrap. This was the advice given to me from Jeanette Lee (Black Widow) when she gave a clinic here in town years ago which has worked well for me…especially when using a cheap cue at a bar.

11. joeygonzo says:

Jeanette Lee has free video lessons at billiardsdigest’s site .
    Including the grip. No mention of the balance of the cue at all.

12. LiMaoTang says:

hey limaotang.. squeeze MY balls bitch

13. Hr9C0 says:

I play competitive pool at bars, I always win since I’m underage.

14. brianC253 says:

does the balance point still work if im using a 30in shaft??

15. runoutman says:

the balance point is measured from the tip or it’s useless piece of info. and where you grip your cue correlates directly to your bridge length. longer bridge grip further down the cue. shorter bridge choke up

16. thornslord says:

does he talk too much abt squeezing? 😀

17. TeenyTiny945 says:

@joeygonzo I see corey quite often as he lives in my area and I’d say hes no taller than 5’9″.

18. TeenyTiny945 says:

Where you hold the cue is soley based on how long your bridge is. The longer the bridge the further back your hand is going to be on the butt and vice versa. Your arm should be at a 90 degree angle when the tip of your cue is about to contact the cue ball

19. joeygonzo says:

@TeenyTiny945
    I’m about as tall.
    I have a long bridge so I grip right at the bottom of the handle.

20. rchen972 says: